On the 1st March 1956, the NVA was created, shortly after the creation of the Bundeswehr. This was the last stage in a development which had started in 1952 with the proclamation of the "National Army" and where, during its evolution, units of the "Kasernierte Volkspolizei" (KVP) as well as the basic structure of a military organisation, were added.
This took place within the framework of the Warsaw Pact Treaty and under the direction of the Soviet Union. Up until 1962 the NVA was a professional army, but after the introduction of compulsory military service in 1964, the strength of the NVA was around 170,000 soldiers.
Several times, the NVA was placed in a State of Alert, sometimes for long periods; in 1961 during the construction of the Berlin Wall; 1962 during the Cuba crisis; 1968 when Soviet troops marched into Czechoslovakia; and the last time in 1989.
In 1990, the NVA was disbanded and its garrisons, installations and equipment passed over to the Bundeswehr. Most of the barracks were closed and the equipment partly sold to other countries (Armoured Personal Carriers to Turkey, naval units to Indonesia, for example.)
The Komplexdepot 22 of the NVA was based in Grosseutersdorf and Rothenstein.
Mainly weapons and ammunition was stored at these bases. After reunification, both depots were transferred to the German Treasury Ministry and are no longer in use.